FSC Friday – an annual event run by the Forest Stewardship Council – is a global celebration of forests. This year the festivities happened on 27th September. We took part by (amongst other things) encouraging all our staff to wear green.
So why are we still talking about it now? Because, with a closing date of 31st October 2013, the FSC Poster Competition is still very much up and running!
The competition is aimed at raising awareness about the FSC and its mission to promote the responsible management of the world’s forests, with an ongoing commitment to being environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial and economically prosperous. Talking about the competition, Nick Taylor, director of Juice Creative, said:
We have recently become FSC Certified and so really wanted to get involved in FSC Friday. We have decided to share some of our design industry knowhow to help others become engaged by the work of the FSC and also get really excited about the wonderful world of design.
Prizes are available for winners in each of the following age categories: 6 and under, 7-8, 9-11, 12-16, 17 and over. With three weeks still to go before the closing date, we decided this was the perfect time to offer a few suggestions about how to make your poster really stand out from the crowd.
Juice Top Tips for Poster Design
- Be simple – A single-minded approach is always best. Look for that one great idea and communicate it in a clear, memorable way.
- Be hard-hitting – Most people glance at posters for just a few seconds. If you really want to grab their attention, you’ve got to sock them right between the eyes.
- Be unexpected – The human mind is stimulated by anything out of ordinary. Make your poster memorable by using imagery in an unusual way.
- Be consistent – Make sure everything about your poster joins up: images, copylines, supporting text, colours … everything must work together to achieve that common goal: to get noticed.
- Be playful – Whether the end result is light-at-heart or deadly serious, it’s critical you get a kick out of the creative process. Whatever you end up with – enjoy it!
To enter the FSC Poster Competition, first design your poster (don’t forget to use the tips above). Include your name, address and either a telephone number or email address and your age on the 31st August 2013 if you are 16 or under. Then send it to: FSC UK, 11 – 13 Great Oak Street, Llanidloes, Powys, SY18 6BU by 31st October 2013.